If you are one of the hundreds of thousands of people in Indiana who love to head to the local lake in the summertime, it’s important to take a moment before jumping in the water to remember a few key safety tips. The following are five key ways to help ensure your safety and avoid injuries this year:
- Assess the lake’s conditions: Before entering the water, take a moment to gauge the water’s temperature, depth, currents, and vegetation. You will also want to identify any hazards that may be partially or completely hidden.
- Plan ahead: When preparing for a trip to the lake, it is wise to bring items that could be helpful in an emergency situation. This may include a First Aid kit, life jackets, and a fully charged cell phone. You will also want to check the forecast for the day to avoid any inclement weather.
- Always swim with another person: Swimming alone is never a good idea. If you’re going for a swim, be sure to bring a friend or family member with you in case either of you needs assistance. If children are present, ensure they are always closely supervised and within close proximity to you.
- Avoid water-related illness: It’s not likely that your swimming water is clean enough to consume. In fact, natural bodies of water can easily become contaminated due to pollution. To prevent illness, do not swallow any of the water and be sure children in your party understand that lake water is not for drinking, as well.
- Pay attention to park rules: There may be safety signs posted throughout the park that denote safe areas for diving, shallow water, and rules for smoking, drinking, and picnicking. Carefully minding these rules will help you remain safe and prevent you from accidentally breaking the law.
With these safety tips in mind, you can reduce your risk of personal injury while enjoying your day in the outdoors. However, if you have suffered an injury and would like to learn more about your legal options, consult a dedicated Indiana lawyer with Tabor Law Firm.